Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Theatrical Experiences

My first ever real theatre experience was in 1994, watching "Malam Ini Penyu Menangis" at Panggung Eksperimen Negara, Kompleks Budaya Negara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The leading actor was Sofea Jane, directed by Noordin Hassan, based on a poem by J.M.Aziz titled "Penyu Menangis". I went with my buddy Lin. At one point, some of the actors got off the stage and went towards the audience with their scary face expressions and body movements. As both of us were sitting quite isolated from the other audiences, one actor headed towards us, we were so frightened, we hugged each other, closed our eyes and shouted like hell. I guess they have succeeded in conveying the message through their acting. It was a good show.

Then in 1997, I watched "Phantom of the Opera" and "Beauty and the Beast" in London, United Kingdom. I love both equally, and wouldnt mind watching them all over again.


>>Phantom of the Opera, Her Majesty`s Theatre<<


>>Beauty and the Beast, Dominion Theatre<<

On my other visits to London after that, I did not watch any other theatre. Most of my time there were then spent on working, relaxing, travelling, people-watching, shopping and window-shopping.

Back in Malaysia, in December 2003, I managed to watch the Riverdance Show in Stadium Putra Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur. The Irish dance troupe was fantastic!


And finally in May 2004, I went to Istana Budaya, Kuala Lumpur for the first time, to watch Saturday Night Fever The Musical. It was a reminiscence of my school days obsession..the discomania.


When I was in secondary school, I watched Saturday Night Fever the movie with my friends, then everyday onwards what we talked about were the dance steps, John Travolta, his booty, his chest, his style of walking..urgh! Every weekend we would stay-back in school after our Girl Guides meeting, closed all the classroom`s door and practiced the Saturday Night Fever dance steps. Then on Sundays, my group of crazy friends would organize parties and the songs played were all from the movie soundtrack, songs by The Bee Gees. Argh..those were the lovely, crazy, fun and most enjoyable times of my life!